Skip to main content

Nutrition Wake Up Call


I have been in the fitness industry for 20 years! I have always been able to eat whatever I want and stay "looking" like I was fit until I had a couple of kids and hit my mid to late ’30s! WAKE UP CALL! I kept working out, but never changed my nutrition. The weight kept coming on. The pic in the awesome swimsuit (NOT), I’m at 167 pounds (Nov. 2017). I'm 5'7 and they consider 160 pounds overweight at 5'7. I don't think I was overweight, but this was the most I have ever weighed, not pregnant! I am now down 18 pounds!  I have about 9 pounds to go to get to where I want to be. It has taken me over a year to get to where I am at. I have done it slow, consistent and I have changed my habits. Nutritional habits and lifestyle habits.

What did I change? I became a certified yoga instructor, kept teaching Jazzercise, but added different formats, added more strength workouts to my existing workouts. But the number ONE thing I did, CHANGED HOW I ATE and became certified in Sport and Exercise Nutrition. 

Huge lifestyle change on my nutrition! NOT A DIET..... A LIFESTYLE CHANGE! No magic pills, no crazy diets, just healthy clean eating, for the most part.  I view food differently. I don't look at food as good or bad anymore. I look at it as is this healthy for my body? Will it nourish my body and give me the energy I need?

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE my wine, Mexican food and curry. I still indulge, I just make smarter decisions. I did this for me. I did this because I want to be healthier from the inside out. I did this because I’m a fitness instructor, fitness professional, yoga instructor, health and fitness coach, nutritionist, wife and mom. I want to be around for my family and be a positive role model for my fitness business and my kids!                            

Maybe if I have given up my wine, I may already be at my goal weight, but I also want to live my life and enjoy it. I don't want living a more healthy life to be a punishment. Unless you are preparing for a fitness competition or to be on the cover of a magazine, you don't have to give up everything you love. It may take you longer to get to where you want, but small changes done consistently over time will give you the best results that you can maintain.

And, don't forget, being healthy comes in all different shapes and sizes. You can't judge a book by its cover. Just because you are super skinny, doesn't mean you are healthy.  It really comes down to how you feel. If you feel good, you look beautiful. 

So, don't be too hard on yourself. Take your time, educate yourself, stay consistent and most of all remember it's about PROGRESS, not perfection.  https://procoach.app/jen-lapke


November 2017, 167 pounds

November 2018, 150 Pounds

January 2019, 149 pounds

Comments